Monday, July 11, 2011

A life gone too soon

Over the weekend I found out that a woman I use to work with had a heart attack and died.  She leaves behind two children, the youngest who is middle school aged.  She was only five years older than me.  While I didn't know her well, and really couldn't consider her a friend, the suddenness of her death has left me somewhat shaken.

Here was a single parent who worked extremely hard at ensuring that children and families less fortunate than her own had access to the kinds of things we probably take for granted -- Easter baskets, Thanksgiving dinners, birthday and Christmas gifts, prom dresses and all the extras that go with that special day.  And at the end of the day, in the blink of an eye, she's gone.  

In addition to the suddenness, my shakiness has to do with her age and her size.  She was only five years older than me at the time she died and she was over-weight.  I have no idea what lead to her heart attack, and I don't know anything about her medical history, but being that close in age and being over-weight myself, well.....  it's hitting pretty close to home.

Hug your loved ones tonight and take care of yourself, you never know when it will all be gone.

RIP SC.

1 comment:

  1. Virginia - I worked a lot with this person, when I was the missions director at my church....you're right; she was always thinking of others before herself. I heard about this two days ago and was shocked myself. I just can't help but think about her kids.

    Take care!

    Sherri (Traci's sis)

    ReplyDelete