Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Do not shop..... go straight home

Today I was talking to an old friend of mine (old as in I've known her forever, not old as in old :))......  She is dealing with some significant health issues lately and I was just calling to check on her.  She reminded me of several funny stories that span back over several years.  I certainly enjoyed talking to her today and was warmed by her positive outlook on life.   I asked her if there was anything I could do for her and she said knowing that friends and family were thinking about her and praying for her was enough.  I told her if she needed anything, all she needed to do was ask......  The Smart Alec comes back with "I told you to go straight home, not go shopping!"

Oh my.....  I had hit a nerve.  Last time I visited with her was the day of the big storm here in KC that required most everyone to seek basement shelter in the middle of a work day for over an hour.  Tornado sirens were going off, dark clouds were rolling in...  I think the Joplin tornado had occurred just 3 days prior.  My big goal for that day was to prepare dessert for that night's big family dinner -- my niece was in from out of town with her beau and her baby and all I needed to bring was dessert.  As T and I were watching the weather from her basement, I realized I had 30 minutes before the storm was to hit where we live.  My plan had been to go to the grocery store on my way home...  I decided to make a run for it.....  T tells me as I'm leaving "don't stop at the store, go straight home."  I nod my head yes as I shut her front door and then say "after I go to the grocery store."  You see -- I didn't want to tell a lie....  I just made sure she couldn't hear me when I finished my sentence!!

I went to the grocery store.....  they weren't letting people shop because of the tornado sirens....  if we entered the store, we had to go back to the freezer.  So I stayed outside by the front doors for a little while, watching those clouds roll in.  (Note -- I wasn't the only one standing by those doors!!)  Sanity finally weighed in and I went home.... texting T that I had arrived safely.

Okay, so, no big humorous lesson for anyone today, just a good, private laugh at a recent memory and T's quick wit and my promise to her that next time, I will try much harder to follow directions.  Love you T.

1 comment:

  1. Virginia, Welcome to the bloggy world! I have enjoyed reading your blog. I too disregarding friends that day and made a "quick" stop at a super box store to get The Short Chic some needed Tylenol. We were stuck there for nearly 1 1/2 hours! It is so nice to have friends to share memories with!

    ReplyDelete