Sunday, June 19, 2016

Being Fatherless on Father's Day

This has been a wonderful weekend and a difficult day. It's been 23 years and 5 months since my father passed away. Most of the past several Father's Days I have focussed on my husband as a father and have usually spent the weekend with my in-laws, celebrating the fathers in our life on my husband's side of the family.

But today, as we were driving home from my in-laws, I am scrolling through Facebook and am overwhelmed with all the Father's Day postings. It always takes me by surprise when people who are older than me still have their fathers, I know it shouldn't, but it does. And then I am reminded that so many people my age still have their fathers. I am so happy for them, but today, today it's been difficult to watch all those Father's Day postings. Today I broke down in tears scrolling through Facebook. Thankfully, my husband was by my side, just holding my hand.

From my dad to my children's dad, thanks for taking care of me.

No comments:

Post a Comment